Internships, Industrial Placements, First Degree Graduates
Designing and managing the Bank's money market operations in sterling markets. This means that we implement monetary policy and provide sterling liquidity to the banking system. Our role is hugely varied, and includes: Managing the UK's foreign exchange reserves on behalf of HM Treasury Managing the Bank's balance sheet, which stood at over £400 billion at the end of June 2014 Playing an important part in the Bank's new responsibilities for financial stability policy Briefing the Monetary and Financial Policy committees on developments in financial markets.
What big issues might I be working on?
Our work is set to have some major impacts. After all, we’re responsible for reshaping the Bank’s operations and balance sheet, including ensuring robust risk management practices. We are also:
- Leading the design and execution of an eventual exit from quantitative easing by the Monetary Policy Committee
- Overseeing the implementation of reforms to the Bank’s Sterling Monetary Framework
- Leading the work to build fair, efficient and effective financial markets
- Undertaking a comprehensive review of the Bank’s essential market intelligence function.
What sort of things could I do here?
Graduate roles here vary widely. You could be involved in monitoring and reporting on financial market developments, designing policies, or inputting into Monetary or Financial Policy Committee decisions. Some of our graduates are involved in operational roles enjoying the opportunity to run, design or support the Bank's market operations. You may also be assigned to market intelligence teams, where you’ll help maintain the Bank's network of contacts across the City.
What could I be doing day-to-day?
With new issues to tackle on a daily basis, the breadth and variety of what we do means that the only constant is stimulating and interesting work. Join Markets and you could:
- Participate directly in financial operations
- Collect market intelligence
- Brief Governors on financial market developments
- Help to shape policy design and risk frameworks.
Whatever your role, there is a real opportunity to make an impact.