First Degree Graduates, School Leaver, Industrial Placement, Interns
Technology at the Bank are responsible for systems that range from recording gold deposits into the vault to managing the Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system that enables the UK financial services sector to transfer trillions of pounds in payment transactions every year. We design, build and run applications and programs that are critical to the Bank’s ability to succeed in its mission.
What big issues might I be working on?
- Major change programmes within the Bank, as varied as the Bank’s implementation of Structural Reform within the financial sector to the roll-out of our new website.
- Developing our data analytical capabilities to enable some of the smartest analytical minds to set the UK’s interest rate and supervise c. 1,700 banks, credit unions, insurers and major investment firms.
- Looking at the future of the technology estate, considering the implications and possibilities of cloud computing, machine learning and automation.
- Maintaining the security of the Bank’s systems and ensuring our critical infrastructure and highly confidential data are designed to stay safe from potential threats and vulnerabilities.
What sort of things could I do here?
With a team of over 600, Technology roles at the Bank range from highly technical developers and testers to project management, business analysis, and user support. Technology is a mix of monitoring, maintaining, fixing and improving services already in use across the Bank, and introducing new tools and platforms to help improve efficiency, security and end-user experience.
What could I be doing day-to-day?
Days within technology are as varied as the roles we have available. On any given day you could be:
- Working with other areas of the Bank to understand their needs and suggest potential technological solutions
- Answering questions, queries and requests from colleagues across the organisation.
- Writing secure code, debugging systems and ensuring solutions align to business requirements
- Developing reports and presenting to leadership teams on a change project’s progress
- Attending a hackathon to develop proofs of concept for innovative ways to use technology to enable better ways of working
Whatever the specific task it is you’re involved in, ultimately you’ll be working to support and enable the Bank to fulfil its mission.